April 7, 2008

Census Data 1910

I'm still tinkering with the genealogy of our family. I've actually been able to find a lot more about Jennie's ancestors than I have about ours. I need to get with Willie one of these days and see what he has gathered.

I did run across something interesting today. Here is part of a page from the 1910 Census for Pike County, Magisterial District 8 Precinct 13. (NOTE: It will soon be a hundred years since it was written.)






It's difficult to read but the census taker has recorded the members of what he listed as family number 297. It included:
 
Name Relation Sex Race Age MaritalStatus
Bailey MarthaHead of Household
F
W
70
Wd
Cavins CosbyDaughter
F
W
29
Wd
Bailey AngelineGranddaughter
F
W
12
S
Bailey ArdalineGranddaughter
F
W
9
S
Bailey DeliaGranddaughter
F
W
7
S
Bailey MaryGranddaughter
F
W
5
S
Cavins RachelGranddaughter
F
W
2
S
Cavins EuniceGranddaughter
F
W
1/12
S

I can't imagine what it must have been like for Martha Bailey, 70 years old, widowed, living with her daughter, also a widow, and six granddaughters, and trying to survive in rural Kentucky in 1910. I'm sure young 12-year-old Angeline had her childhood cut short, having to help with all those little sisters.

Part of what I found interesting is that immediately following is family number 298 ...
 
Name Relation Sex Race Age Marital Status
Stalker GeorgeHead of Household
M
W
33
M1
-------- MaryWife
F
W
27
M1
-------- MalissaDaughter
F
W
13
S
-------- RissieDaughter
F
W
11
S
-------- FrankSon
M
W
10
S
-------- JaneDaughter
F
W
8
S
-------- JohnSon
M
W
7
S
-------- ClarenceSon
M
W
5
S
-------- LilburnSon
M
W
4
S
-------- LizaDaughter
F
W
2
S
-------- WalterSon
M
W
1+
S

I am embarrassed to admit that I had no idea Grandma Angeline and Grandpa John Stalker had grown up living close if not side by side. The census doesn't indicate how far apart their two households were.

I also hadn't realized she was older than him. The ages in these census records have to be taken with a grain of salt though. Great Grandpa Joseph Looney is shown as being 25 years old in the 1880 census but, 20 years later he has aged 25 years and is recorded as being 50 in the 1900 census.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting

As we have cleaned out Jims grannys house we have came across a lot of information where she has written down famliy trees. I think it is very important to know about your past.

Anonymous said...

Correction

MawLine's Mother's name was Cosby. That is a strange name but I'm pretty sure I have heard Dad say that was her name. I knew they had both lived on Pond but didn't realize that they were next door neighbors.